Simplify. That's my word for April. March was full and wonderful, but in the midst of all the good things happening, I found myself feeling drained and overwhelmed. As I set out to prepare for April, I pulled out my PowerSheets, but up next was not my usual monthly sheets, but instead the three month refresh sheets. Turns out, that refresh was exactly what I didn't know I needed to pause to process and gain some really valuable clarity.
I realized in an attempt to live with purpose and focus on what matters, I was focusing on too many things at once. I let all the important things build up one on top of the other instead of letting them ebb and flow in seasons. I was wearing down under the expectations I put on myself, and I had cast my net too wide.
This is where I am so thankful for grace. Thankful that I can breathe in and exhale, open my hands and receive the fullness, contentment, peace and order that only God can bring. Through all my striving, I've spent the last several days pausing more to loosen my grip and hand over the reigns. He gently takes them and leads me on a path that doesn't always make sense or feel intuitive, but it does lead to peace.
For April, I've adjusted my expectations, written clear goals attached to specific purposes, and left room to breathe. Already, I feel more energized and excited because I've simplified and clarified what matters most in this season.
At a quarter into the year—how has it been for you? Have you been on track making 2015 look just how you hoped, or do you feel down because your goals aren't coming together how you expected? Or, are you like me, and you're accomplishing things, but it's at the expense of your own well being?
Wherever you are, I want you to know that you can (and will!) still accomplish your goals. Let the last three months be, and pick up from right here to continue in a good direction to making 2015 great and purposeful. It's not going to happen overnight or in one easy try. 2015 will be a great year if you will just keep going. The things that matter in your life are too important for you to give up now. As a little boost, keep reading for an impromptu giveaway below!
March goals progress:
Write a blog post that asks a good question and builds community(This post!)
- Have our April family budget party before the end of March (we didn't have it before the end of March, but it's done now!)
- Follow up about The Influence Conference
Celebrate Woody's birthday with fun and love on St. Simons Island with family Dentist appointment Follow up on pre-wedding celebrations for Christy Send March birthday cards Write Woody a love note(birthday card!)
- Order Artifact Uprising book of our second anniversary trip
Second gathering of The Orchard
- Complete two new card designs
Continue our search for our first home (!)(more details coming on this soon!)
- Plan team gathering with work teammates (paritally planned)
April (simplified) goals:
- Write three blog posts
- Travel to Indianapolis for Sigma Kappa event
- Go to Florence, Al, with Woody for Highlands Staff & Spouses Retreat
- Read and work through three topics (one-ish a week) from 31 Days of Prayer for the Dreamer and the Doer
- Take next steps in the home-buying process
- Look for frames for gold foil Lara Casey Shop prints (currently favoriting these!)
- Establish a consistent weekly date night with Woody
- Follow up on the Influence conference
- Send April birthday cards (three are already on their way!)
- Have a planning night for NYC trip (Paris is out, NYC is in for 2015!)
This journey isn't meant to happen alone, friends. There is so much to reach for, to give, and to receive in this life, but we need each other to help us in the journey. I loved hearing from so many of you about your goals and hopes for 2015 earlier this year, and I want to hear from you again! How are you doing? What is your progress? How can I pray for you? Share a comment on this post from now through the end of the month and be entered to win the fabulous Make It Happen book by Lara Casey! Please include your email in your post. If you need help living a life that is more focused on purpose than perfection, then you will love this book! I can't wait to hear from you!
(Posts accepted through April 30 at 11:59pm CST to qualify for the giveaway).